Can drinking water take years off your face?
After reading this article over at the Mail Online, I was inspired to try my own experiment. After all, a picture like this is certainly enough to spur anyone on:
After thinking about how much water I drank each day and admitting the answer was none (I drank tea, coffee and coke!), I decided that the article might be onto something. I suffer from frequent headaches, often crippling ones which in turn become migraines and incapacitate me for a couple of days at a time. I have noticed that my skin is less firm and there are dark circles and bags under my eyes. I put it down to having a 16 month old who wakes at 6am no matter what, and turning 40 years of age. But what if I am depriving my own body of the very thing it needs most in order to function correctly?
Top 10 reasons why we should drink water (thank you Abby Phon at Mindbodygreen.com)
Top 10 Benefits of Drinking Water: Don’t Medicate, Hydrate!
1. Increases Energy & Relieves Fatigue – Since your brain is mostly water, drinking it helps you think, focus and concentrate better and be more alert. As an added bonus, your energy levels are also boosted.
2. Promotes Weight Loss – Removes by-products of fat, reduces eating intake (by filling up your tummy if consumed prior to meals), reduces hunger (hello natural appetite suppressant), raises your metabolism and has zero calories.
3. Flushes Out Toxins – Gets rid of waste through sweat and urination which reduces the risk of kidney stones and UTI’s (urinary tract infections).
4. Improves Skin Complexion – Moisturizes your skin, keeps it fresh, soft, glowing and smooth. Gets rid of wrinkles. It’s the best anti-aging treatment around.
5. Maintains Regularity – Aids in digestion as water is essential to digest your food and prevents constipation.
6. Boosts Immune System – A water guzzler is less likely to get sick. And who wouldn’t rather feel healthy the majority of the time? Drinking plenty of water helps fight against flu, cancer and other ailments like heart attacks.
7. Natural Headache Remedy – Helps relieve and prevent headaches (migraines & back pains too!) which are commonly caused by dehydration.
8. Prevents Cramps & Sprains – Proper hydration helps keep joints lubricated and muscles more elastic so joint pain is less likely.
9. Puts You in a Good Mood – When the body is functioning at its best, you will feel great and be happy.
10. Save Money! – Water is FREE. Even if you choose bottled/filtered water, it’s STILL cheaper than that high sugar and fat-filled latte.
I started drinking a huge jug of water a day 2 days ago. This is day 3, and I have already noticed some slight changes. Because I sit at a desk all day and am very busy, I often forget to get up and move around and when I do, I’m stiff and achy – particularly my right ankle which I have sprained very badly on 3 separate occasions over the years. Yesterday I got up to go for a bathroom break and noticed I had a spring in my step and no aches or stiffness. I thought I was just having a good day and didn’t put it down to water intake until I read the article above, point. 8.
My urine is no longer dark yellow. Now it’s a light yellow….hopefully soon to become clear!
I’m still waiting for the skin miracle, but it’s early days yet. My selfie is below. I’ll keep you posted and post pictures and updates as I go along. It can’t hurt, right?